Installing Ruby Interpreter:
- Download Ruby Interpreter from here
- Run the installer and respond to any prompts during installation.
- When the installation is complete,you can test the Ruby Interpreter by going to Run->irb (Interactive Ruby).
- Type the Command puts “Hi”
- You will see the output
- Then type “quit” to quit the environment.
Installing Development Kit:
- Download the development kit from here
- Extract the downloaded file
- Open Command prompt and go to the extracted directory.
- Execute the following commands,
ruby dk.rb init
ruby dk.rb install
- Go to Command Prompt by Run->cmd and they execute the command “gem install rails”
- After Installing Rails, check whether java is installed on your computer. If not, install it by downloading the package from java.com
Checking the Installation:
- Open command prompt.
- Go to the directory where you installed ruby. Make a new directory.
- Go to the newly created directory and create a rails project using the following commands,
rails new myapp
- Now move to the myapp folder created in the directory.
- Then start the rails server by executing
- This will start the server and will show all the details about the process like pid, port no in which it is running etc.
- Go to the web browser and open the url “localhost:<portno>”. Now you can see the starting page of your project. Here the port no will be shown in the cmd prompt when you start the server.
IDE : Aptana Studio 3(like eclipse)