- First of all you should design each and every parts like windows,buttons etc.
- Some of the elements to be designed are,
- Stop button,
- Next and previous button,
- Fast forward and fast backward button,
- Time slider,
- Volume slider,
- Mute Button,
- Text info of the song or movie,
- Sort button,
- Add to playlist and remove from playlist button,
- Sliders to control equalisers etc
- Some of the windows you should design are,
- Playlist window,
- Equaliser window etc
You have design all these elements with three states, one before action, one for when the mouse is hovered and one for after action.
- Download the VLC Skin Editor from the download page
- Extract the package and run the application file. Before running the application, make sure java is installed on your computer.
- Now copy all the png images that you have designed into a folder and then import everything in the Bitmap resources of the Skin Editor.
- Now click on the add window button and give a unique id and then size etc. After then, you have add a layout to that window.
- Layout determines the different appearances of a window and it can be one per window.
- Now in the Items Window below, add all the elements making up this window.
- While adding elements, you have to give the bitmap name in the attributes to add that png to the window. Then you have to specify the actions.
- For eg: Select the item as “button” for “Stop button”, Select the item as “Check box” for “Play/Pause Button”
- After that, arrange all the elements in the way you want.
- Similarly create all the windows that are required.
- To edit the skin’s settings like author etc use Edit->Theme Settings.
- Now when you are finished, Choose File->Export as VLT.
Use the new Skin:
- To use the newly created skin, open the VLC player.
- Go to Preferences and then click the custom theme radio button in the opening page.
- Click on the browse button and select the newly created skin.
- Then save and close.
- Now go to start->VLC player Skinned. This will open the VLC with your skin applied.